Thursday, February 7, 2008

My Face is Red Right Now

Okay, we can file this under the category of just too embarrassing to ask on my "regular" blog.

1. Do yeast infections ever clear up on their own?

2. If I think I have a yeast infection (likely between pregnancy and antibiotic I'm taking for plague of death I got from Sam), will anything bad happen if I don't see the doctor about it until Tuesday when I have an OB appointment anyway?

3. Since I'm pregnant I won't be, um, inserting anything anywhere without a doctor's orders, but do you have any suggestions for, um, itch relief that I could use between now and Tuesday?

And now I need to go hide somewhere, because I am really that embarrassed to have just put those questions on the Internet.

5 comments:

Constance the Thirteenth said...

OTC (over the counter) treatment is the standard for yeast infections, even if you are pregnant. If you want to double check, just call your OB or even the OB unit at your hospital and they should be able to give you an answer. No need to wait until next week - they should be able to give you a simple answer over the phone...and it's a call that they get a lot, so no worries!

Anonymous said...

This is no shit.

Plain Yogurt. I've had two yeast infections and I applied it directly and just ate quite a bit of the plain yogurt as well. (With live cultures)

One other thing I'll admit to. I opened up (non-used, obviously) tampons, removed the cotton tampon and filled the applicator with plain yogurt. Not only did it help, but when your lady bits are screaming the cold was an awesome relief.

I'm not a weird hippy, either, haha. Ok, maybe weird ;).

Constance What said...

When I was pregnant with my second, I had a yeast infection for I don't know how long (it didn't itch, and I didn't have an OB until my sixth month, a long and involved story in and of itself) BUT for a very, very long time -- something I realized after the fact. Anyway. My point is that a yeast infection probably won't clear up by itself since you've got a number of things going physically.

Secondly, the OB recommended an OTC brand and said to get the seven day cure since it contained the least amount of medicine per dose. I imagine you'll probably get very similar advice.

Erin said...

I had the same thing with my last pregnancy. My doctor said it's really common during pregnancy, given all the changes, etc.

OTC is fine to use. I got Monistat or whatever, and it cleared up. I don't think they usually go away on their own. Get yourself something, girl, because that's really not fun!

And PLEASE. Don't feel embarrassed!

Constance XXIX said...

Anything OTC is ok and I have heard of the yogurt too, although have never tried it. To prevent them, or at least help prevent them, try carbolic soap. I buy it at the health food store and it really works.