Thursday, January 1, 2009

And Again With the Changes!

Now Sam's interview isn't January 5th - it's January 12th. Which is good, he'll be around to help unpack after we return from our holiday travels, but it means yet another week of dragging all of this along.

We've also had some random issues with winter driving - nothing bad has happened this trip, but we had a scary black ice skid on the highway coming home last winter. And that, combined with a couple of other scary but harmless incidents has made Sam really, really nervous about driving on snowy/icy roads.

Not that driving on icy roads is a picnic for anyone, but in many parts of the country it is a fact of life.

I don't mean to be a bitch, but if Sam gets this job we'll be moving significantly north of where we currently live and there will be many, many more snowy/ice roads that need driving on. I think this needs to be a serious consideration IF he is offered the job. He has had anxiety issues in the past (serious ones, before we met) and manages stress/worry very well most of the time. But I can see how this driving thing unravels him and I worry about it - not that I wouldn't support him if his struggle with anxiety resurfaced, on the contrary, I think I would help him do whatever needed doing in order to cope, but I have some concerns about totally upended our lives and how he'll really deal with that. And drive in the northern winter.

3 comments:

Erin said...

That's a really interesting factor, actually, and not one I would have thought of. I'm certain it's something you get used to/ learn to prepare for, but still. As someone who has also dealt with anxiety, it's always a good idea avoid major stress triggers when you can.

Sorry about ANOTHER delay in the process. Ugh!

Anonymous said...

Ack! I wonder if the stress of "considering new job" plus "interview hanging over him" plus "driving conditions" is too much all together, but that if he got the job (eliminating the considering and hanging) he'd be okay.

Anonymous said...

4 wheel drive and traction tires. That is what people in the north do about driving on snow and ice.