Monday, January 12, 2009

Not Unfounded

Tomorrow Sam is supposed to have his phone interview for the potential new job - he is still waiting for details confirming this. I swear if I didn't know he worked for a decent company I'd be wondering about them...

Today, in a management meeting, Sam got a version of the news we'd been dreading. His administrator is not eliminating his position, but the entire local affiliate is being absorbed by the larger affiliate south of here, as a cost cutting measure. Basically they are restructuring to eliminate some administrative costs and it is now nearly certain that Sam's position will be eliminated. He is hopeful that he will be given a different job in his current company.

If not, we are totally screwed. I have a professional degree that is all but useless in our area right now. Even if I could find full-time employment in my field, I would be lucky to make half of Sam's current salary. We don't have a lot of debt beyond what I consider normal, our mortgage, one car payment, and a small amount on an equity line, so that's something. We have money in retirement funds, IRAs, and stocks, but nothing that is made to be accessed right now, or would be much help right now. We have very, very little in the way of traditional savings.

Sam says not to worry, but he isn't really the type to tell me to worry, so I don't find that very comforting. I just pray that he will, in fact, still have a job a week from now. If he isn't given a different position it looks like he'll continue to get his salary for about two months. Which is better than not at all, but sure doesn't seem like enough time to find a job in this economy.

I'm trying very hard not to be consumed by fear about this - for me it is made worse by the fact that this is not going public just yet and I cannot talk about it with ANYONE, not friends, not our parents, no one. I'm not sure I've ever been so grateful for this little pink haven, because I really need a place to let this out a bit.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Oh honey. It's terrible to have to worry like this. I really sympathize, and I am HERE for you, okay? Just hang in there, one day at a time. (Geez, did I REALLY just go all twelve-steps on you?)

Anonymous said...

Oh, honey. I am so sorry. I've been there. We lived. We made it through. Hopefully things will work out easily and quickly. Like Erin said, take it a day at a time and know that we're here for you no matter what happens. Hoping for the best!

-Constance the Super

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Oh no oh no oh no!

Anonymous said...

Er, perhaps that was not a HELPFUL comment for me to make.