Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Hands Are Tied

I'm so easily frustrated in situations where I want to help, but can't.

One of the biggest challenges of having a family, for me, is that I can't run to be with a friend at the drop of a hat. I know that is sort of a no brainer, but I don't think I'll ever stop feeling that frustration.

A very good friend here (let's call her Ellen) called this evening to say her father had been hospitalized. Another friend of hers has been counting on her to help as she just went into labor with twins and has NO FAMILY here. So Ellen is worried about her father, trying to help her other friend, and is obviously suddenly having a very difficult time.

She called tonight to ask if I could sub for her for part of the day tomorrow. I can't in the morning because I'm going on a field trip with Mary's class. I would love to have helped her in the afternoon, but my MIL can't babysit in the afternoon. Sam could get away from work for a couple of hours, but says he rather wouldn't. I feel a little frustrated with him, but at the same time, I can't really blame him for not wanting to take time off work.

Ellen is such and incredible friend to me. She drove to the hospital in a blizzard when I was in labor with Keegan and Sam couldn't get there right away. She held my hands while I got an epidural for goodness sake. She has been truly remarkable in the lengths she's gone to to help me. So I'm frustrated that I can't drop everything to help her.

But this is the life I have and I have responsibilities to my family, my kids. There's nothing I can do for her tomorrow. It's not like there is something I can shuffle to make it work. It is out of my hands. So why do I feel so guilty?

1 comment:

Erin said...

Oh man, that is TOUGH. You feel guilty because you want SO BAD to help. But you're circumstances simply won't allow it-- which is not your fault. Maybe you can do something else? Offer to make dinner for her, or for the family having the twins? I don't know. I know she is such a good friend and of course she understands. You are also a wonderful friend to her, and I'm sure she realizes it too.