Tuesday, January 15, 2008

And We Shall Call Him Sam

Sam is the husband.

I feel as though I have to begin this post by saying that I do love him and I think we have a good relationship in many ways. I know that he loves me - which is important. I guess what I'm saying is that I plan to come here to vent, but I am not begging for divorce lawyers' business cards just yet. K?

Sometimes I wonder if the things that are so upsetting are Sam things or man things. You know? There are some things that seem to be generally true of all grown men. Some examples -- a) they are babies when they are sick and b) they don't seem to do very many helpful things without, ahem, reminders.

For Sam the things that drive me crazy tend to fall into two categories:

1) Things he used to do that he doesn't anymore.
2) Things that seem totally obvious and yet are never addressed without my asking.

Some behaviors (or lack thereof) fall into the both categories.

For example, there are very few jobs around the house that are Sam's job, but one of them is putting the garbage out on garbage day. When we were first married, he dutifully walked through the house and emptied all the garbage cans and replaced the bags before putting the garbage outside. Now? He still puts the garbage cans outside (which involves moving them all of two feet from just inside the garage to out on the driveway), but rarely empties any of the cans in the house before doing so. What the heck? This means that, when I hear the garbage truck on the street behind ours, I often find myself noticing all the not empty cans and run around like a maniac trying to swoosh it all outside before the truck gets to our house. This baffles me. Especially when it comes to the kitchen garbage can, which is on the way to the garage, for Pete's sake! And it always has food in it and it is always stinky -- even when it isn't all the way full, it's kind of a no-brainer that it should go out on garbage day, right?

I'm sure you're out there thinking, oh poor Constance, whose husband doesn't take out the trash to her liking. . . wha wha wha. But it is just one example of where even when he "helps" with something, I end up doing at least half of it myself. Bleh.

4 comments:

constance the second said...

Yo C5. I hear ya. Totally. It is so AGGRAVATING. And it's one of those little things that would be so EASY for them to do right. And it would make a difference. You know? For what it's worth, we have those things around here too. Lots of them. Wooo boy. I feel a post coming on...

Constance the Thirteenth said...

I am totally with you - I would think that it was obvious that ALL the trash should go out, meaning that the cans in the house need to be emptied before the cans go to the curb.

As we were fond of pointing out in our very nearly all female workplace...that short little arm that is missing on the y chromosome has a LOT of important information...

Anonymous said...

No way, I am totally on your side here, and I know exactly what you mean.

"Constance-1-M" said...

I always wind up hearing "Do you want to do the cat box or the diaper pail for me?"

NO I'm not going to do that ~ you start changing poopy diapers around here & I'll start helping you empty trash cans. Until then you're on your own dude.

Oops, sorry - little venting spilled out right there!

ROTFL ~ Constance13 !!