Thursday, July 17, 2008

Wringing My Hands

On Monday Sam has a job interview in a city about two and a half hours from here. If he is offered the job, and the offer is good enough to accept, things will likely go very quickly. Which, understandably, has me freaking out a little bit.

It is unlikely that we would ever be forced to move for Sam's job, but if he wants to move up in his company, which he does, then we may very well have to go someplace else to do it. The company he works for is headquartered in our area and the internal competition is much more intense here than it is in other cities where his company has employees. In the past two years it has been very clear to me that we were just as likely to move as to live here the rest of our lives.

I'm not allowed to write about this yet on my "regular" blog because Sam is pretty connected to the community and he doesn't want people thinking we're moving if we aren't.

Moving is NEVER easy, especially for me, but moving with small children is even more difficult. We are excited about the potential in the city we might move to, I think it is a good family place, much like the city we live in now. Unfortunately our nearest family will be over an hour away if we move -- that is probably the scariest thing. I don't worry too much about my ability to make new friends, especially since we have a couple of connections who could help us meet people if we moved. But right now we live minutes from Sam's parents, who are wonderful and helpful. I totally won the in-law lottery, and they are the kind of people we can call in the middle of the night if we need a hand. I try not to take advantage of them, but I never worry about asking if we truly need their help with something. Moving to another city will be like living without a safety net, at least at first.

Of course I also have some wonderful friends here, who I will be very sad to leave. One in particular who is a nearly daily part of our lives.

I have more fretting to do, but we need to leave for an appointment. Which is just one of the really difficult things about moving -- needing to find new doctors (and schools, and stores,etc.)

1 comment:

Swistle said...

We moved when we had just ONE child and I just about blew an essential gear, stress-wise. But then it all turned out fine---not as scary or unpleasant or difficult as I'd expected. But perhaps that's because I was expecting something more along the lines of building the Panama Canal all by myself.